Predictability and Change. Was RE: Franz Mohr

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:52:56 -0700

It seems to me that a lot of what we like is what we are used to.  The
=93whump=94 of a Steinway in the mid tenor we learn to identify as depth
when in reality it may be a belly with ribs that can=92t quite support =
the
crown or stiffness necessary for that section and a predictable
transition from bass to treble.  The pop in the attack that we learn to
look for in the treble may be more to do with the failure of the killer
octave region.  But when you are accustomed to hearing such things on a
piano that you identify as the =93cr=E8me de la cr=E8me=94 then when =
it=92s
missing, it seems like there=92s something wrong.  The difficulty is in
wiping the slate clean and approaching the instrument without bias.  As
one pianist said to me the other day (to paraphrase):  =93most of what
pianists look for is predictability; as long a what comes out of the
piano is what the pianist thinks will comes out before they play a note,
then everything else can be worked out.=94  Well I think that goes for
what pianists expect within an instrument as well as between
instruments.  And if they are used to hearing the same things over and
over, it=92s very difficult to break that pattern of predictability even
if the heretofore unpredictable piano has better balance, smoother
transitions and a better combination of sustain and power.  Change is
always an uphill battle. =20
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20