Piano wire tensile strength

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:07:27 -0400

Sounds silly to me (but just in a "common sense" manner). More likely
any amount of twisting is for the purpose of keeping the winding from
loosening from the core.
Dave Sanderson roughens the surface of the core wire (hacksaw blade run
against the wire), and flattens it slightly (hammer & anvil) where the
winding ends will be.
He prescribes no twisting at all for his bass strings.
Patrick Draine