Arledge Bass strings

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:59:35 -0700

What are you using to calculate the percentage of breaking strength? If it is
the formula presented by Al Sanderson and used by Tremaine Parsons, it is
incorrect.

The Model Ls I've measured come to the high 50%/low 60% range. At least when
compared to the real-world tensile strength of the wire in use today.

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: June 25, 2005 5:34 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Arledge Bass strings

   List
   Speaking of strings, I've had the pleasure now of using  about 6 sets of the
Arledge strings  & I like them very much. I like the neatness of the  wraps etc.
But as much as this I find the tone color of the scaling a bit darker  thru  out
but I find it especially refreshing in the top of the bass scales where
typically many makers get a bit thin & whiny sounding which I believe is a
tension problem.
    I haven't checked but I'd guess at a bit heavier scaling being employed
which, in my limited scaling experience gives a darker tone with more power.
  IE the Old 1920's  stwy L scale in the region of notes 20 - 26 were scaled
toward the 70% of breaking strength & they sounded awesome. When on occasion I
have replaced sets where the tension was reduced in this area the tone suffers
greatly. ON having it corrected the tone came back. I'm not finding this
weakness in  the Arledge strings at present.
  I'm interested in any ones feedback be it objective or subjective.
   Cheers
  Dale Erwin
  Oh & I like personal service, southern hospitableness & a can do attitude.
 !!!!!!!!!

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357