Piano wire tensile strength

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:51:32 EDT

I think it has to do with the string tension causing the  windings being too
tight to end up at a correct expansion after stretching to  sing & not sound
dull. I once had to twist all the tri-chords On an S&S  D 3 times to get em to
sing. first once wait a week then twice wait a week then  bingo They sounded
fine but I did not have the oppurtunity to follow up on  it.
  Dale

That's an interesting  observation and well worth researching among string
makers, i.e. how much  twist of the wire gets ahead of the wrap during the
high-speed wrapping  process, then how much slackens out of the wire after the
spinning stops.  Also, how much twist (or torsional force) remains in the core
held by the wrap  itself (or in mis-making of the string, is the torsional force
over-applied  leaving the core wire close to an elastic limit).

PR-J