square

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:58:08 -0500

Yes. Decline the job. (I know that will offend Joe Garrett, but he's kinda quirky about old pianos, anyway. I think he takes in stray forest animals, too, like wombats, weasels, and whippens. <G>)

Failing that, get out your extension hammer and back brace. Make sure the lid prop is really secure DAMHIK. You may have to remove the damper lever flange rail and everything attached to it. If so, have sandbags or a heavy cloth on hand. Do you have an oval/oblong tuning lever tip? You may need it. Allow mucho time. Charge more than your normal tuning fee. Seriously. Maybe double. Be gently with those thin, old parts--no matter how aggrevated you get. Do not wang the keys hard even if that is your normal modus operandi while tuning. Do not go home and kick the dog after your session.

Try to keep a positive attitude at all times.

As for me, I am reasonably positive at all times. In this case, I am absolutely positive I would decline the job if at all possible, as I said.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri