Square piano

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:19:18 +0100

Hello Don P and List
I have a few squares on my regular rounds - in museums and country =
houses. I had to make my own tuning "T" hammer to tune them with. I only =
use a "T" hammer on these as a lever takes too much room and cannot get =
the handle in the right position because of the high sides around the =
wrest plank. Two of my squares are  built around 1780 or so. One uses =
whale-bone for its damper springs. Most use vellum hinges for the =
hammers and dampers. Go armed with a vellum saw and some vellum - which =
you can get from any early music timpanist as off-cuts from replacing =
skins. The action will probably be in two sections The treble section =
will only be about one 8ve. You may be lucky and find the tops of the =
keys have been marked with an "O" with a line through it to indicate =
under which keys the screws holding the action in place are situated. =
You may have difficulty in pulling up the name-board and the key =
slip-rail to remove them - but that's what you'll have to do to get the =
action out. BEWARE! The damper wires may be attached directly to the =
tails of the keys. If this is so you'll have to unscrew them on-by-one - =
a very dicey task if they've been in situ for a few hundred years - =
before you can extract the action. The tuning pins may go along the =
spine or along the treble end of the instrument. Before you start tuning =
use coloured centre-rail washers to indicate the A's and different =
colours for the F's and the C's - you will find this incredibly useful =
in finding your way around the tuning. For Squares I always use an ETD =
with many pitches to set the bearings. I have a KORG Chromatic Tuner =
CA-30 which does quite nicely as it is impossible to be wholly accurate =
on these old beasts. For a wedge I use a very small rubber wedge =
otherwise the flexibility of those strings will not allow the wedge to =
stay upright. I dare say you could use a bit of hard check felt suitably =
cut. Finally.... discover and keep to the ruling pitch of the =
instrument. Altering pitch on them is courting possible disaster.... =
AND..... have fun!
Regards from a Sunny Village in the Sussex Downs
Michael G.(UK)