Inviting Flames was Re: Never Been Tuned

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:35:23 -0500

This is just reviving an old discussion. Specifically: Where does the flatness go? (Flames were thrown willy-nilly at that time...)

Susan Said: "My first private job for money involved raising the pitch of an old upright a perfect fourth ... nothing broke. I did it a semitone at a time. "

This is just reviving an old discussion. Specifically: Where does the flatness go? (Flames were thrown willy-nilly at that time...)

Does anyone reaaaaaaallllllllllly believe that tuning pins don't turn backwards over time?

Alan Barnard
Hosing Myself Down in Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Susan Kline
To: Pianotech
Sent: 06/29/2005 11:48:11 AM
Subject: Re: Never Been Tuned

At 11:18 AM 6/29/2005 -0400, you wrote:

I just made an appointment to tune a 1961 Wurly spinet that has never been tuned. The owners mother bought it new and she has the original receipt for $600. She says she knows for a fact that it has never been tuned.

Well, heck, Terry, I've tuned an upright to pitch where the owner knew for a fact it was last tuned in 1938. She was 85, and had owned it since before then.

My first private job for money involved raising the pitch of an old upright a perfect fourth ... nothing broke. I did it a semitone at a time.

That Wurly will think it's been sent back to the factory, or something. <grin>

Susan