PTG Website

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:30:28 -0400 (EDT)

If I remeber correctly...I had to be approved for membership at the local level. In fact I thought they may even discussed me, before accepting my application. I got the feeling they dont just take anybody. Would that not have meaning? Or am I out of it..

John Musselwhite <john@musselwhite.com> wrote:At 08:45 AM 6/29/05 -0400, Terry wrote:

>Apparently, they don't count. Or perhaps they are not real piano technicians.

Or perhaps the PTG just doesn't know anything about whether they are "real"
piano technicians or not since they have no test results on file for them.
Would you really want your name listed (and recommended by the Guild)
beside and as an equal to someone who perhaps just pays their dues and
still hasn't figured out how many keys are on a piano yet?

>The PTG store also will not sell a number of its items to anyone that is
>not an RPT.

It's always been that way. If it has an RPT logo on it you have to be an
RPT to use it.

>Don't tell anyone, but I service pianos professionally.

That's nice. Even if the PTG *knows* you service pianos professionally and
that you're very good at it, without having the exams on record at Home
Office they "officially" don't know anything about you except that you pay
your dues. I would hope that the website only lists those technicians that
have been vetted by the process of examination. It's the only way the Guild
has of recommending technicians because those who have at least passed the
tests are the only ones they really know anything about.

So take the tests, pass them and make use of all the resources.

That's my two cents, anyway...

John Musselwhite, RPT