PTG Website

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:12:24 -0400

Richard and list,
         On the other hand, I have not been asked frequently, or hardly=20
ever in fact, if I was a member of the guild. The few times I was asked I=20
can honestly answer that I am. This substantiates that I am part of an=20
organization as you've said seeking to better myself in my chosen=20
profession. If Associates are not included how can my customer verify that=
=20
I am a member in good standing?

Greg Newell

At 12:58 AM 6/30/2005, you wrote:

>If the word approved isnt acceptable..how about recruited. I was contacted=
=20
>and asked if I would like to join. Now, is the PTG mandate to add numbers,=
=20
>or is there another reason. I understand however, the concept of of the=20
>tooner, and why it is this way. To tell the truth, being a member=20
>[associate] or not has not come up but one time in ten years and hundreds=
=20
>of clients. Is there really any monetary value in being an RPT. While=20
>there are many excellent ones, I also know many excellent technicians who=
=20
>have never joined the PTG. I joined to feel a part of something I was very=
=20
>proud of, to keep up withe the latest, to be inspired, to gain knowlege,=20
>and generally hob nob with others who love the piano. By the way...other=20
>groups have contacted me, to see if I was interested. In the end, perhaps=
=20
>you are correct. Listing other than RPTs, would give credit, where it many=
=20
>not be warranted.
>Richard
>[]
>
>Israel Stein <custos3@comcast.net> wrote:
>At 07:07 PM 6/29/2005, you Richard Gullion
>:
> >If I remeber correctly...I had to be approved for membership at the local
> >level. In fact I thought they may even discussed me, before accepting my
> >application. I got the feeling they dont just take anybody. Would that=
 not
> >have meaning? Or am I out of it..
>
>You are not out of it - but your chapter is. This chapter "approval"
>is not sanctioned by PTG by-laws. Currently there are no stated criteria
>for PTG membership, and there are no objective criteria for such
>"approval" on the chapter level. Therefore your chapter is running a risk
>of getting itself and the PTG sued for engaging in such "approval"
>practices. This was the issue at the recent Council session, where a
>proposition to circumvent such patently illegal and unsanctioned chapter
>"appro! vals" was defeated in a very close vote. Regardless of all this,
>since this chapter "approval" is not conducted according to objective
>criteria, it cannot be taken as an indication of anything other than that
>these people who "approved" your membership like you - or at least don't
>dislike you... Chapters routinely accept for membership raw beginners and
>people who are simply looking for a place to learn the trade. So, my
>friend, if you want the PTG to present you to the public as a Piano
>Technician - show us your skills in an objective, legally sanctioned manner
>- pass the tests.
>
>Israel Stein

>Richard
>the "Piano Guy"