Steinway Puzzle?

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 1 May 2005 10:47:37 -0700

Yesterday, I ran into a real puzzler! Steinway "B". Fallboard has brass =
Steinway lettering w/New York & Hamburg listed. Three Pedals. 1908 =
vintage. Plate looks like a New York in all ways. Round turned & fluted =
legs. Round Tail. Everything looks like New York, until I pulled the =
action. Even that looked pretty standard, for the age. Shanks, original, =
round. Hammers have been replaced w/Steinway, vintage pre 70's. The =
wippens do not have the jack alignment spoon/screw adjust. Hmmm? =
everything looks normal.......Yikes! The wippen has assist springs, but =
not as we are used to seeing them! The spring goes through a hole in the =
tail of the wippen, horizontally. What the..???? I've never seen this =
before.=20
So far, I've gleaned some history of the instrument. It was purchased =
new, by a family in Germany. In the late 30's they fled Germany to =
England. Later moved to the US. The owner retired to England, but left =
the piano in the US. Piano was sold in the Estate, thingee. The current =
owner is going to call Steinway, Monday to try an track this down, as to =
origin. In the meantime, have any of you seen a Steinway of this vintage =
with "turbo springs"? As the King of Siam said: "Is a puzzlement!"
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I