Pitch in Paris ca. 1860

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Sun, 1 May 2005 21:39:28 +0300

Frank,

I am using the original strings in the Pleyel, because they were in good =
condition and I thought it's a shame not to preserve them.
I didn't do any breaking test on the wire, so I'm not sure if it's =
similar to modern wire or not.

Anyway, this is not a question of using a different material. this is =
the original wire, so I think I can assume that the piano was meant for =
a pitch at least as high as 440. Other postings on this topic suggest =
that it was even higher.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Frank Benner=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 5:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Pitch in Paris ca. 1860

  Hi Calin,

  you can only  compare a string from a 1860 Pleyel with a 1910 Steinway =
if you assume they have the same kind of string material.=20
  If this is the case, with the given length and thickness and the same =
frequency, you will find the inharmonicity in the Pleyel string almost =
double compared to the Steinway. The load in the Steinway string is =
approx. 63,5% against a mere 43% in the Pleyel.
  Using softer material will increase the load and decrease the =
inharmonicity. Raising the pitch however will increase load and =
inharmonicity.
  I think that using other string material will help you far more than =
raising pitch.

  Frank Benner