Acrosonic balance rail

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 02 May 2005 12:24:50 -0500

At 12:03 5/2/2005, you wrote:
>Is the keyframe of a late 1950's Baldwin Acrosonic
>spinet unusual in some way?  I wanted to shim up the
>balance rail on one but was suprised by strange holes
>with steel in the bottom, and screws in unusual
>places.  I didn't have time to pull all the keys and
>investigate, but was hoping someone on the list has
>had an Acro apart and can educate me.
>
>Normally, the balance rail in a vertical has four or
>five screws into the keybed.  You loosen them, lift up
>the balance rail, and slip in some cards to restore
>keydip and end burbling (aka: blubbering, bobbling,
>etc.) hammers.  Total time:  10 minutes.
>
>I pulled up several keys on the Acro and found, well,
>not what I expected.  So I put the keys back and fixed
>the worst offenders by removing front rail punchings.
>

>Any hints for next time?
>
>Greg Graham

What you've found is Baldwin's nice method of adjusting key height.

Those steel things in the bottom of the holes are screws which support the
balance rail.
The screws you see are the ones which hold down the rail.
Look under ALL the keys.  There will be 5-6 of each. (mostly under sharps)

Note: if the visible screws are slotted, so are the hidden ones, if
Phillips; Phillips.

Loosen the visible screws.  Put the keys back, except those covering
holes/screws.  You can now adjust the level of the keys up or down using
those in the holes.

Once you have the level where you want it, snug down the visible screws.
NOT TOO HARD, or you can create a gently waving keyboard.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.