Wurlitzer Puzzle

John Gilmore johnjamiegilmore@qwest.net
Mon, 2 May 2005 14:37:43 -0700

Thanks to everyone who gave me info the Wurlitzer grand puzzle last week -
it is greatly appreciated.

And thanks to you, Joe, for the heads up about the PTG meeting.  I contacted
someone else who attended and they shared the information I needed.

John Gilmore

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:53 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Wurlitzer Puzzle

John Gilmore said: "My name is John Gilmore and I'm a piano tech in
Portland, OR.  I've got a
puzzle on my hands that I hope someone can help me with.

Recently, I was called to service a short 1930's Wurlitzer grand.  I needed
to pull the action, so I removed the key slip, which was attached with four
screws.  Then I tried to remove the blocks and fall board - but could not
find how they were attached to the piano.  No screws from underneath the
blocks or on the diagonal at the bass and treble ends.  The fallboard hinges
are only party visible, so I could see no screws there to take out so as to
remove the fall first.  I removed the small rubber buttons from the tops of
the blocks in hopes of finding screws under them - nothing.  First time in
15 years that this kind of thing has happened!
Does anyone out there have an idea?  Any input would be much appreciated"

Gee John, if you'd have been at the Portland Chapter Meeting, last Monday,
you'd already have your answer!

We had a very lively discussion, led by Jeff Hickey, specifically about this
sort of thing.

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I