Bridge pin spacing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 03 May 2005 09:24:14 -0500

> What's the narrowest distance between front and back row bridge pins
> that one can safely use and why?
>
> David Love

I don't know what the practical limit is, but you see them down to
about 10mm at the section breaks where they tried to maintain a log
progression across the break with a minimal dogleg in the bridge (I
have one in the shop, but I can't get to it to measure at the
moment). As can also be seen in those situations, the closer the pin
row spacing, the harder it is to control the offset angle
accurately. The usual range seems to be between 15 and 18mm in the
treble, depending on what you usually work on. Spacing typically
gets wider as you go down scale. I don't know of any mechanical
reason for this other than, as the bridge angle decreases relative
to the string angle, less wood needs removed in notching with the
wider pin row. Since bridge stiffness in the tenor isn't typically a
problem (except at the low end, where it ends), I think it may have
originally been done for speed and ease of production by the hand
notchers.

Ron N