CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Fri, 06 May 2005 10:35:50 -0700

I see your point, Allan, however I think conical is more descriptive.
Conical in this context means pertaining to a cone shape, it doesn't
mean shaped like children's birthday party hats.  Tapered could be
anything, for me. Tapered in thickness (left/right?  front/back?)  or a
taper in size across the keyboard, such a s a set of hammers or dampers.

Conical always refers to a circular shape, tapered can mean anything,
unless it is qualified.  "Tapered sides" is the term used in the April
2005 PTJ article on the punchings by André Oorebeek.

But I won't wage any wars about the terminology, the important thing is
that we all understand.

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com