CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS and something about aftertouch........

Sun, 08 May 2005 00:19:49 -0400

Andre -
Your analysis is interesting, but I'm not sure without flaw, though it may=
=20
be that I'm not understanding you entirely.
Before anything else, it should be understood that, within the realm of=20
mechanical rationality and effectiveness,  there is a range of what is=20
acceptable, or preferred, by pianists, whether professional or=20
otherwise.  Second, I would prefer to sidestep the issue of tonal effect,=20
for the time being, as any experiment to evaluate such claims should be as=
=20
controlled as possible, and also, I still haven't read the article.  What=20
remains then are the issues of precision, tactile response, and=20
consistency.  I have no doubt, both logically and from my own experience=20
with these punchings, that establishing a consistent key dip is easier than=
=20
with softer, woven punchings.  The sense of termination is more=20
defined.  There is a minimum amount of perceived compression at the end of=
=20
the keystroke.  I would assume that,  certainly in the earlier stages,=20
these punchings would deform less than the woven variety, in general,=20
though I've seen examples of the latter that I thought to be too hard to=20
use.  I suspect that the long term deformation issue is, as you suggest,=20
not a real concern, for the reasons you indicate.

So, what about this question of soft or hard landings?  Frankly, I question=
=20
your analysis of aftertouch.  Aftertouch does not mean "after the work has=
=20
been done".  Even apart from tactile expectations of the pianist, or the=20
need for a "real-world" safety margin, there is a degree of jack movement,=
=20
past where the hammer drops, that is necessary for the action to function=20
properly.  In response to your comments, I performed an experiment which I=
=20
found revealing.

While not necessary for the experiment, I measured up and down weight of a=
=20
sample note and calculated friction, which, in this case happened to be 6=20
grams (not my usual).

I then determined the gram weight required to just move the jack through=20
escapement from a static key, positioned at jack / let off button=20
contact.  This happened to be 120 grams.

Using a very firm light green punching (I ran out of Wurzen's) I built up=20
the front punching height until I found the point where the difference=20
between the key moving through escapement or not was one white punching=20
(.08mm / .0035").

 From that point, I removed paper punchings until I achieved what, to me,=20
felt like the traditional 'American'(?) amount of aftertouch.

I measured the extracted paper punchings and got: .76mm / .030".

This also seemed very close to what was necessary to allow the jack to=20
stand clear of the descending knuckle.  With less aftertouch, the knuckle=20
would have to work to push back the jack (against a spring) on its way to=20
check the hammer, losing some momentum in the process.  On a soft blow,=20
this could make the difference between a captured hammer and one which=20
bounces back.

I suppose you could make a case for the idea of trading aftertouch for=20
power. Assuming a given key dip, the less taken up by aftertouch, the more=
=20
travel/time is available to drive the hammer from further away or to closer=
=20
to the string.  On the other hand, since, to reduce aftertouch you have to=
=20
either increase blow or decrease key dip, such a revised dip dimension=20
might feel considerably disconcerting to the pianist. Which takes you to=20
the physiological component...what the pianist feels and what he/she=20
expects to feel.  Would you suppose there is such a thing as=20
"finger-followthru", similar to follow through in most athletic=20
motions?  Maybe sometimes, the tactile feel is more critical than speed or=
=20
power. Maybe, as with voicing, the repertoire acts as a determinant.

>If someone prefers a more, as you say, "cushioned stop", then that person=
=20
>should allow for some more after touch.
>The surplus of after touch is actually a waste of energy and a waste of=
 time.
>The more waste, the more that feeling of "cushioned stop".
>Capisce?

You seem to indicate a clear bias in favor of the firm landing over a=20
softer one, and this, based upon the power-inefficiency inherent in the=20
softer one.  Nevertheless, if the pianist prefers the softer feel, would=20
you expect to find a difference whether that sensation is achieved by=20
modulating the punching density as opposed to increasing aftertouch?

Perhaps someone could clarify the difference in what David Stanwood refers=
=20
to as "pressed "felt, and your description of the Wurzen.  As I understand=
=20
it, pressure is part of the felting process.

I really must read your article.

Maybe you and Stanwood could meet, maybe the Hauge, and work this out.

Regards -

David Skolnik