CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Sat, 07 May 2005 23:07:48 -0700

It is natural to compare and contrast the Crescendo punchings made from
Wurzen felt to the the woven felt cloth traditionally used in pianos.
How DOES woven felt really stand up in high impact areas?  Let's take a
look:

Am I the only technician who has a problem setting let off in older
pianos because the woven cloth let off button punchings are dimpled, and
when you turn the button slightly, the jack tender contacts a different
spot on the uneven punching, and everything changes?

How about front rail punchings?  Am I the only technician who has
encountered woven cloth front rail punchings so deformed under the
sharps that if I adjust the key dip and fail to replace the punching
inexactly the same orientation as it originally was, my adjustment is
all over the map?  I'll answer that question by saying that many
technicians in the know regularly flip the front rail punchings over and
turn them, to slow down and spread out the inevitable compaction.

What about the highest impact area in the whole piano?  Do we see a
woven felt? Any woven felt hammers out there?

The point I am making is that all our experience shows that woven felt
is, in fact, not immune at all to compaction.  It compacts very nicely,
which is one of the reasons we regulate, regulate, regulate, and
eventually replace it.

The special felt from the Wurzen company is truly amazing stuff.
Because its density is achieved by fulling (agitation, pounding,
rolling) the fibre layers and not by pressing them, the resultant felt
has a resilience (spring back) not attainable in pressed felts.

Jack Brand, owner of Wurzen, said I should immerse some of his felt in
water and see what happens.  Well, I have had a piece of  a Crescendo
punching in a glass of water for a few days.  I look at it, and it
looks.....wet.  That's all, no swelling, no disintegration.  Just a
piece of felt with sharp corners where I cut it, except it is soaking
wet.  A neat, if somewhat boring science experiment!   Not that a piano
would be subjected to such conditions, but it does say a lot about the
stability of this felt.

Look out, woven felt cloths, and get ready to move on over.  Crescendo
Wurzen felt is coming.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
"we've got the good stuff"