CRESCENDO GRAND PUNCHINGS

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 8 May 2005 09:15:10 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

Dear Andre and Jurgen,

Feltmakers all have their "secrets"  but in the end it is the quality of the fiber that makes the felt what it is.  Your felt is nothing special as to the orientation of fiber.   The fibers generally run laterally through the sheet because you see cut ends of fiber on the side and not on the top surface.   If the fiber is as fine as you claim then I applaud your effort.  If your punchings were made of Wurzen woven felt I would probably buy a set tomorrow and try them.

I still would refer technically to your felt as a pressed felt meaning that it is composed of simple fiber without woven fiber.   I did not mean to infer that, after your felt was fulled and dryed, it was pressed with dry heat to make it denser.   This would be a "cheap" way of making the felt denser.  Felt like this expands when exposed to steam which it seems yours does not.

Again I applaud and support your effort to produces hammers and felts using high quality fiber and I wish you the best of luck.  Time and lots of experience will tell if all your claims are true.

I have access to a scanning electron microscope.  If I can find the time I would be happy to examine some samples of your felt and report on the fiber diameter and construction properties.

To be honest I think that you both should tone down your posts in respect to promoting your product.  This list should not be used for promoting products.

David Stanwood