something about aftertouch........

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 8 May 2005 14:37:59 -0700

I guess it all boils down to what the meaning of is is.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 3:35 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: something about aftertouch........

David

I'm only reading the archives now and dont really see the need to attach

names to ideas for the most part. Nothing personal in the <<someone
wrote>> bit. Just in case you took it that way.

But as to the point... I hardly missed it. One may indeed argue one way
or the other until one is blue in the face, but the fact is the window
of variability in what is actually accepted as a <<properly regulated
piano>> or what is actually <<normal aftertouch>> is plenty large
enough  to allow for certain purposeful changes in aftertouch... or
really just about any other parameter when it comes down to it.  The
degree any such change is productive or counterproductive is gauged by
whether or not said changes result in the response the pianist desires
from the instrument.  In one sense your below agrees with Andres
comments that an increase in aftertouch is an increase in waste, but on
the other hand Andre, being the seasoned concert tech he is knows that
going to a softer punching also has its performance drawbacks. He also
knows that the sum of either configuration may in either case represent
what any given pianist desires.  It simply is not as black and white as
is apparently drawn out below.

You brought <<normal>> into the discussion... not me. I simply refuted
its applicability in the context of very high level concert work a guy
like Andre does every day.   The issue is about taking into
consideration as many regulation aspects that influence the pianos
response as one can.  The decision to use the firm yet resilient felt
punching vs a soft cloth felt punching is more involved then the
isolated issue of a given desired amount of  the <<soft landing>>
sensation. Your more forgiving punching has several attributes, not all
of them equally conducive to improving <<action performance>> (whatever
one means exactly by that at any given time). The issue is about being
aware of all the tradeoffs involved... (or at least as many as we can
figure out) and figure them all into our decisions about what to use,
what to do, and when.

Point of fact. You can indeed opt for a softer landing of the type an
increase in aftertouch does whilst at the same time staying well within
operating tolerances for concert work whilst at the same time providing
a given (and by no means isolated) pianist a sensation of improved
response. But then there are a lot of things we can (and need to be able

to) do to meet the demands of a pretty wide variation in pianists ideas
about what the optimum response is.

Now, I will crawl back into my box of tasks over here and let you all
get on with this.

For anyone interested, here is a link to the music festival I've been
given responsibility for this year.  50 + piano concerts in a two week
period, nearly all given on Steinway D's.  Lots of fun !

http://www.fib.no/

Cheers
RicB

That someone would be me and you miss the point.  Andre argued that to
change the feel you could change the aftertouch.  I would argue that the
aftertouch is as you say, the function of a properly regulated
action--though you can adjust the amount of aftertouch by altering dip
or blow.  At any rate, the idea of changing the feel at the bottom of
the stroke by artificially changing aftertouch seems counterproductive
as it alters action performance.  Changing to a more forgiving punching,
if that's what it requires, makes more sense.  Making an issue about
what "normal" means misses the whole point.