something about aftertouch........

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 8 May 2005 23:47:59 +0200

On 8-mei-05, at 22:00, David Love wrote:

> That someone would be me and you miss the point.  Andre argued that to
> change the feel you could change the aftertouch.  I would argue that
> the
> aftertouch is as you say, the function of a properly regulated
> action--though you can adjust the amount of aftertouch by altering dip
> or blow.  At any rate, the idea of changing the feel at the bottom of
> the stroke by artificially changing aftertouch seems counterproductive
> as it alters action performance.  Changing to a more forgiving
> punching,
> if that's what it requires, makes more sense.  Making an issue about
> what "normal" means misses the whole point.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@comcast.net

There is however one thing I have to bring forward, and it is an
interesting issue :

In the various factories where I have followed my training, there was
never any mentioning of purposely adjusting the aftertouch by putting
in softer punching. Both Steinway Hamburg and Yamaha use a standard
aftertouch of around 0,5 to 1mm.
The Yamaha Academy, and then at the concert grand level, they are the
most precise in this matter. Even more precise and more disciplined
than Steinway Hamburg.
I think that Richard Brekne, who has been visited the Basic Grand Piano
course and the Master course, refers to this setting of aftertouch
which in practice appears to be a normal and standardized procedure in
actually most factories.
I myself have had that experience at the 4 most important factories of
this time.

Of course these factories have their reason to do this, to follow their
procedures of making an aftertouch of no more in any case than 1 mm,
which, in practice, is already a kind of "soft landing".
All four factories btw have a firmer punching than others of which the
Steinway and the Yamaha punching are the most firm.
Just because I have had the extensive experience, and because I have
personally understood their reasoning, I keep arguing that it is better
to use a firmer pinching, and then to "play with it" if a pianist has a
particular wish.
Within the possibilities of the existing actions, keyboards and the
punchings they use, it is very easy to alter things and yet stay within
the borders of the regulating parameters used by them.

If you for instance have the specific wish to, nevertheless, favor a
softer punching, then I would call that your personal choice, just like
it is in any case my choice to do it the other way, but the choice for
softer punching remains debatable because it is not the choice of the
leading factories (Steinway, Yamaha, Bechstein, Bösendorfer).

I think that is what Richard Brekne means.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl