something about aftertouch.......

Mon, 9 May 2005 07:45:13 +0100

Hello Jurgen
There, I think, you have it! In a nutshell! My thoughts entirely. Hence =
the need for this new approach to action geometry as defined by the felt =
used!
I drove down the Malahat highway to Victoria in the 60s. What a =
beautiful place Vancr Island is!=20
Regards from a beautiful sunny morning in the Sussex Downs
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piano Forte Supply=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 3:30 AM
  Subject: RE: something about aftertouch.......

  Maybe I overlooked it, but what I haven't seen in recent posts on this =
topic is how the compressibility of the front rail punching affects the =
aftertouch at different dynamic levels.  With a more highly =
compressible, less firm punching, the aftertouch changes a lot more =
drastically through the spectrum of dynamics, from ppp through fff.  If =
the piano is regulated at a "medium" blow [please don't jump on me for =
this term, I think it is clear to all who want to understand], the =
reduction in aftertouch on a very light blow is far more apt to create a =
problem with a bobbling hammer (than with a firmer punching).  =
Conversely, on the same note played fff, aftertouch will surely far =
exceed 1 mm [dip and jack/knuckle clearance] and the chances are good =
that the jack will bury itself in the jack stop felt.

  Meanwhile, the pianist is getting completely different tactile =
feedback from the key at every different dynamic level. (fluctuation in =
key dip, aftertouch, checking height etc., perhaps even repetition)

  So the question is: HOW firm do we want the front rail punching to be? =
 Obviously more firm than a sponge and softer than a stack of cardboard =
punchings.  But beyond that?  Perhaps as firm as possible without =
compomising the other duties of this punching, such as to keep key thunk =
to a minimum. =20

  I have done some simple testing, measuring the thickness of a common =
(woven) front rail punching and a Crescendo punching with no load =
compared to being compressed by weight.  In my test, the Crescendo =
punching compressed  less than half as much as the other one.

  I can imagine there will be players for whom the feel of the Crescendo =
punchings may not be "soft" enough, just as there are those who enjoy =
their "loose action" with wobbling hammers.   For most others, this new =
punching with its crisp, precise feel will enhance their playing =
pleasure, if not their performance.

  Using these punchings will yield a more stable regulation, with an =
unprecedented definition of aftertouch as well as greater consistency of =
touch throughout all dynamic playing levels.=20

   And that can't be all bad...

  Jurgen Goering
  Piano Forte Supply