Felt

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 10 May 2005 01:32:44 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

Dear Stephen,

I want to respond on this subject more when I have some time.

I'm of to the Amsterdam Airport Tues morn (in a few hours) and flying
back home, so I'll be off line for a day or so..

Think about this...

Fine felt fiber has more fiber ends per cubic inch and this greatly
increases the felting tendency.  It is the ends that work their way
into the fiber mass during the felting process.  Also is is a well
known fact that the wool that sheep grow which is very fine also
has more crimp (waviness) per inch and more scales.  This greatly
influences the felting qualities...

On a strickly experiencial plain.  The best set of hammers I ever
had were from Ari Isaac.  They had incredible resiliency and
stretch in the felt.  When you cut through the crown the you could
feel and see the tension being released.  years ago and he convinced
me to buy a whole sheets worth of hammers. (24 sets)  since I felt
the hammers were so great.  When they came through the hammer
was of a totally different quality and when I cut through the crown
there was not much tension at all and the tone was not exciting.

I had the fiber diameters analyzed and the great hammers had an
average of 21 micron diameter.  The lousy sets had an average
diameter of 25 micron...  It's been a while but I'm pretty sure of
these numbers.  I'm certain though of the old Mason & Hamlin
hammers from 1908.  These were average 19microns and what
a beautiful fine felt.

I know that knowing just the diameter tells only so much.  But
to say that it's not worth knowing is.... well let's just say I think
it's very well worth knowing and is a fundamental component of
the felts construction.  Felt is the fiber...

I've often wondered if the South African Merino is once again
used after decades of embargo.  Before WWII it was the fiber
of choice for commercial felt makers....

As you say there are alot of variables not to mention the
chemicals used in processing...  Less bleach and acid in the
processing creates a more durable and resilient fiber I think.

You can see some of my wifes wool felts at her page which
is in process...   http://www.artfelts.com

The toothpicks aren't holding my eyelids open anymore..

Gotta go...

David Stanwood