Wants piano softer

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 9 May 2005 19:22:21 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0031_01C554CC.6C65A730
Brian,

This is most likely a voicing job, though I suppose installing a muffler =
pedal (or whatever it's called) or taking a look at the room acoustics =
(like, installing a rug under the piano, etc.), might do it. =20

Do the hammers need shaping?  Do you know voicing basics?   How lucky =
you are to know exactly what sound the customer wants--just stick some =
cotton in your ears and listen!  :-)

Here's the voicing order I would use to get a softer attack:  (make sure =
the butt screws are tight)

1. File, shape (or whatever you like to call it) the hammers.  =
Sometimes, even if they don't look like they need shaping, a very=20
    light filing will relieve surface tension and give surprising =
results.
2. Either use needles just a bit under the crown (parallel with the =
string cuts) to make a *very* shallow soft area or=20
    sugar coat--that is, using needles perpendicular to the crown, but =
just going in a little bit (the first usually gets greater results=20
    and lasts longer.)=20
3. If the previous attempts aren't successful, try steaming or a hammer =
softening solution--start with a drop or two on the strike=20
    surface--go slow! =20

All of these methods are to get that thin layer of "soft" at the crown.

Remember to listen often to the results of your actions to gauge how =
aggressively you can work.

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

PS   Alan, Theresa, hey?  Julie (with a smiley face and who claims to be =
shy) pops into my mailbox at least twice a day.  The first time I saw =
something from her, I thought I was getting an e-mail from my =
sister-in-law.  :-)
  ----- Original Message -----=20