OT photo editing

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 03:51:50 -0400

Hi Don,

> Have a look at Picasa2--free from Google and said to be the best photo
> editing software for PC's

Who said *that*?!  ;-)  Well, it may well be the best *free* editing
software for PCs.  Personally, my workflow now utilizes:

-- RawShooter Essentials (which is actually free, oddly)
-- Picture Window Pro (shareware, approx $90) -- has excellent algorithms
for doing 48bit TIFF color, brightness, contrast, blah, blah, blah
manipulations.  Lousy user interface, but very capable for preprocessing of
images
-- Jasc/Corel's PaintShop Pro 9 (approx $115?) -- Amazingly good, well
organized user interface.  Extremely capable.  Every imaginable function.
Only complaints:  only edits in 24 bit, and RAW conversion utility is awful.
However, it would appear RawShooter Essentials may be acquired by Corel and
integrated into the next version, HOPEFULLY with 48 bit editing
capabilities.

I organize my photos with Corel/Jasc Photo Album 5, which is pretty good.
It does the job.  Picasa might be better.  Dunno...

I don't use PhotoShop CS, which is also a very capable image editor.  It
costs a fortune, has an awful, dumbed-down user interface, and doesn't do
anything that can't be accomplished more easily by the above.  Only
advantage: does 48 bit editing (but Picture Window Pro takes care of that
need, at least for the most critical preprocessing).

FAIW...

Peace,
Sarah
www.graphic-fusion.com