Money; was Re: a kick in the butt.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 09:05:39 EDT

I   Don
  Out here in Calif.
 We don't have any thing like remotely resembling your  pitch swings. Out
here  From summer to winter it's usually not more than 10  cents even in extreme
cases where I live in the central valley. I try not to  tune a regular clients
piano on the cusp of a weather change & if I do   & it's 6 cents flat before
the moist season I know that if I raise it then  it'll be overly sharp in a
short time . If I leave it 5 to 8 cents flat the  paino often comes up to A-440.
Or if a piano is stable 2 to 3 cents either side  of A-440 & it's not a pitch
critical situation then I leave it. This is what  I mean by floating the
pitch. To me 2 to 4 cents, for practical  purposes is about the same as  measuring
 a nats  eyebrow.
 Know what I mean?
  Dale

Hi  Dale,

I hate to float pitch when humidity can be so easily controlled  with
DamppChaser systems. I am guilty of "floating" from time to time--but  only
when the client refuses my advice. Please realize I live in an  extreme
climate (4% to 84$)--it would not be uncommon for A4 to drift 30  cents in 3
months (and I'm sure you can imagine what that does to the  tenor--and to
unisons).

No offense was taken--at least not by me! I  agree that unisons are "where
it is at", and I want them as stable as  possible. I think I do not too
badly at it at least some of the time. My  typical careful tuning service
call is about the same time as yours, 1 to  1.5 hours. I would rather not do
more than four a day--and three is getting  more and more attractive to me
*grin*