Pitch Raise

Wed, 11 May 2005 14:54:46 +0100

Hello List
The subject is an old and hoary one, I know, but I had reason to be glad =
of my pitch raise method this morning. First an emergency call from =
Glyndebourne "Tune old upright on rehearsal stage for Battered Bride" I =
got the message at my first appointment at 09:30 and knowing rehearsals =
start at 10:30 I drove round to the Theatre. Terrible old "Katz" upright =
with not-tight tuning pins, loose hammer flanges and half-a-semitone =
flat. Up to pitch and tightened all flanges by starting time. Went back =
to client I had left in the lurch. A 1905 John Brismead, vertically =
strung under-damper, a bit more than a tone flat. Now I know these =
Brinsmeads very well and am confidant of the quality string they used =
back then. So I used my "Quadrant System" to bring it up to A=3D440 and =
fine tune it in two hours. No broken strings and, more importantly, =
equalised tension over the entire metal frame all the way through =
ensured no broken plate! What a difference a whole tone makes to the =
sound of a small piano! It gradually came back to life!
Regards from a cool, windy, sunny yet cloudy day in the Sussex Downs
Michael G.(UK)