Pitch Raise

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 18:05:37 -0600

  _____

From: Michael Gamble [mailto:michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:08 PM
To: tom driscoll; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pitch Raise

Hello Tom and List

I suppose it's not at all helpful to state the obvious - "it's in Archives"!
No? Well then this is the way to do it:

Have a cheapo ETD - you know the things - get it from a guitar shop. They
usually have A=439 to A=445 or so. With that tune all the A's to the A=445 -
all 8 of them. Do you have any idea how much tension would be on A-0 when
tuned to A-445??? :-)  Next tune the intermediate M3's i.e. all the C# and
the F's. Now quarter of the piano is done.

Next recalibrate the ETD to A=444. Now tune all the G's to 444 pitch and
follow that with their intermediate M3's - i.e. all the D#'s and all the
B's. Now you're half-way!

Next recalibrate the ETD to A=443. Tune all the G#'s and then the
intermediate M3's. (three-quarters of the way!)

Last recalibrate the ETD to A=442. Tune all the F#'s and then the
intermediate M3's

And you're done! Sounds like a neat system that I'm going to have to try.

Now fine tune.

Note this... I ALWAYS DETUNE EACH STRING SLIGHTLY BEFORE PUTTING UP THE
TENSION. This breaks the bonding at the pressure bar or capo. Even use a
touch of de-oxidising fluid at those points before you start.

Regards from a dark Sussex Village

Michael G.(UK)