Magnets - was Springs vs lead

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 11 May 2005 18:15:08 -0700

Well now that was one of my questions.   How much weight does a=
 spring represent, for instance in the sustain pedal lever?   Any=
 hoo, I'm going to experiment on the next pedal retrofit coming=
 up.   I'm not sure lead weights are more of noise maker than=
 springs?

David

Original message
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Subject: Magnets - was Springs vs lead

The Michael From The Island said: "I like it! Magnetic forces -=
 what are the downsides?"

The only one that comes to mind, is that magnets lose their=
 properties/strength with time.
As for the lead thingee: you'd have to put one helluvalotof lead=
 into the system to mimic the effect of a spring, which is what=
 pianists are used to. Perhaps making the entire system out of=
 iron or steel would come close. But, still not the same sensory=
 for the pianist. Also more propensity for noise. :-(
Just my inflated $ worth.<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I