Pitch Raise

Thu, 12 May 2005 08:27:30 +0100

Hello John and List
You asked:
 Do you have any idea how much tension would be on A-0 when tuned to =
A-445??? J=20
Non! But it can't be much above design tension can it!
Go for it - it works every time. The real "secret" is keeping the =
tension equal right across the frame.
Talking about equal - anyone read "An Unequal Music" by Vikram Seth?
Regards
Michael G.(UK)=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Fortiner=20
  To: 'Michael Gamble' ; 'tom driscoll' ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 1:05 AM
  Subject: RE: Pitch Raise

  =20

-----

  From: Michael Gamble [mailto:michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk]=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:08 PM
  To: tom driscoll; pianotech@ptg.org

  =20

  Hello Tom and List

  I suppose it's not at all helpful to state the obvious - "it's in =
Archives"! No? Well then this is the way to do it:

  Have a cheapo ETD - you know the things - get it from a guitar shop. =
They usually have A=3D439 to A=3D445 or so. With that tune all the A's =
to the A=3D445 - all 8 of them. Do you have any idea how much tension =
would be on A-0 when tuned to A-445??? J  Next tune the intermediate =
M3's i.e. all the C# and the F's. Now quarter of the piano is done.=20

  Next recalibrate the ETD to A=3D444. Now tune all the G's to 444 pitch =
and follow that with their intermediate M3's - i.e. all the D#'s and all =
the B's. Now you're half-way!

  Next recalibrate the ETD to A=3D443. Tune all the G#'s and then the =
intermediate M3's. (three-quarters of the way!)

  Last recalibrate the ETD to A=3D442. Tune all the F#'s and then the =
intermediate M3's

  And you're done! Sounds like a neat system that I'm going to have to =
try.

  Now fine tune.

  Note this... I ALWAYS DETUNE EACH STRING SLIGHTLY BEFORE PUTTING UP =
THE TENSION. This breaks the bonding at the pressure bar or capo. Even =
use a touch of de-oxidising fluid at those points before you start.

  Regards from a dark Sussex Village

  Michael G.(UK)

    ----- Original Message ----- =20