Selling Costs

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 09:43:51 -0500

Why don't you throw a description and price on the list, here? That would help us give suggestions and might even scare up a buyer.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: William Ballard
To: Pianotech
Sent: 05/12/2005 6:53:03 AM
Subject: Selling Costs

I looked at a beautiful HF Miller grand at a mover's warehouse yesterday which really deserves a new home, and I am going to be trying real hard for its current owner. The problem is, the piano is in storage, and for anyone (and that includes myself yesterday) to look at it, the owner will incur a $56 set-up fee by the warehouse. Certainly this wouldn't be a problem if there were someone else to sell the piano out of, and it may come to that. But for the time being, I'm trying to figure out how (and if) the owner and I should handle the set-up fee for each showing.

With what I saw of the piano, any customer I might interest could be 80% sold on the piano just on my description, allowing me to order a set-up only to close that final 20% of the deal. Coordinating buyers so that more than one of them could see the piano for a single set-up is not something I'm counting on.

So I'd been thinking that I'd pay 1/3 or 1/2 the set-up for any showing I scheduled which didn't pan out, not have to pay for the one which did, and if the owner sold the piano separately, not pay for any of them (on the assumption, that her sale was saving her the commission costs to me).

I'm probably being too nice a guy to be offering to pay out pocket what is really an expense caused by her circumstances. But I though I'd check with the assembled wisdom here.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
    ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcom