Grist for the Mill

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Thu, 12 May 2005 13:21:13

Hi all,

Pitch drop over time. Pitch drop due to humidity. How do we decide which is
which?

This morning one of my "faithful" clients had me tune her piano.

History:

1992 01 pitch corrected 92 cents at A4 humidity 40% (including overpull)
1992 02 floated pitch at 7.5 cents sharp at A4 humidity 47%

Today? Pitch correction at A4 of 31.6 cents and worst note of 120 cents
humidity 29% (including over pull).

Total pitch change over 160 months at A4 = 39.1 cents

My "guestimate" is that for every 5% humidity change A4 drifts 4 cents.
This would give around 14 cents of the pitch change for the humidity portion.

Plugging that value in makes the pitch correction at A4 more like 25 cents
in a mere 160 months between tunings, or about 0.15 of one cent per month.

I have no way to factor in humidity change for the worst note but if we
ignore it then 120/160 =~ 0.75 cents per month.

I hope more folks will do this sort of analysis and post it to the list--I
found Conrad's data *most* interesting! Particularly that the piano was at
436.7 on 01/03 and a year later was 436.7 again. Too bad there was no
measurement of room humidity to go with this!

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner