Wanting to become a Piano Technician

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 13 May 2005 06:56:14 -0400

Hello Kevin,

I did the Randy Potter course about ten years ago. Very good course. I
started out knowing less than zero. I now know slightly more than zero. If
you know what a half-step is and that pianos have unisons, you know WAY more
than I did when I started Randy's course! So yes, you can learn the basics
of this business with his course. And yes, experiment with and try
everything on that old upright - and afterwards, like Dale Erwin posted
about - you can take it apart and recycle the parts!

And find the nearest PTG Chapter meeting and attend the meetings and join
the PTG. Go to all the conventions you can. Read this pianotech list (but
don't take everything you read as gospel!).

Good luck!

Terry Farrell