Wanting to become a Piano Technician

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 13 May 2005 13:19:34 -0500

Greetings Kevin,

You didn't say if you were a pianist (then there's the old joke, are you a
musician or a singer?).  In the beginning, no, it might not make much
difference, except perhaps, your previous ear training may prove helpful.
But, later on when you get beyond the basics and really start to deal with
touch and voicing, being a somewhat sensitive pianist, if you are one, can
be a great asset.  It's not necessarily a requirement to being a good
technician and being able to communicate well with pianists, but it doesn't
hurt!

Much luck,

Barbara Richmond, RPT

<snip>
Anyway, enough yacking.......Anybody here learn to become a piano tech
by correspondence course? Can I learn that way? I have been a
musician for 30 years and have a Bachelor of Music degree but I don't
know if that helps that much. Is it a good idea to experiment on this
old upright and try everything on it? Any pointers to get me started
in the right direction? Thank you so much for your advice....I have
thinking about doing this for many years.

Best Regards
Kevin Cook
http://coyotedream.com