Re voicing hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 15 May 2005 10:38:24 +0200

On 15-mei-05, at 10:17, Michael Gamble wrote:

> Hello Dale, Andre-O.=A0and List
> This wretched Katz (German) upright I tune on stage for Bartered Bride=20=

> is extremely soft sounding. We have removed the front panel and the=20
> kneeboard to let out more sound but.... Any one with some ideas to=20
> rapidly harden these hammers would be appreciated!
> =46rom a sunny Sussex morning inThe Village=A0as the church bells =
peal...
> Michael G.(UK)

In that case I would recommend a diluted hardener, although it is=20
against my principles.
If hammers are that soft, power regulation and reverse voicing probably=20=

won't help.
My "weapon of choice" is collodium (or collodion) because it is a=20
natural hardener, mixed with alcohol and ether.
The ether smells badly for a short time, but the advantage of this=20
collodium is that it is easy to apply (with a pipette), easy to take=20
along (in a small glass bottle) as a standard tool case item for the=20
traveling technician, it will stay the way it is (it does not harden=20
out but stays liquid), after 1 hour we get a result and after 1 day the=20=

stuff has done its work completely.
To get the right mix is the secret (mail me privately, Michael)

Plastic dissolved in aceton is the ultimate natural wool fiber killer.
Zappon is certainly ok but it curdles , or clots (whatever is the name=20=

for that process).

from a milky cloudy so so Amsterdam morning with mmmmmm... croissants=20
and delicious coffee waiting......

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek