Tuner Recommendation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 05:53:05 -0400

Oh, there's a little evidence to work with. The lady had to go back to her
old tuner to explore finding a WT tech. You're right, even if the guy didn't
know too much about WT theory he could always dial it up on his ETD. Perhaps
he works without an ETD. Then I should think that he would at least have a
cursory knowledge of WT and be able to help the lady find a local tech who
might be able to do the WT work. If s/he can't do that, then is seems s/he
should be able to help the piano owner with the local process of finding
that service.

I guess really, the assumption that I was making was at one level - either
the tech doesn't know what a WT is, or is unwilling to help the pianist find
a WT-capable tech - so yeah, it appears the tech is either ignorant or a
poor business person - and on another level, and this is where my criticism
really lies, is that if the tech can't help the pianist by either doing the
work or finding someone who can, it would appear the tech is lacking in
professional development.

I have noticed that in this profession that many techs seem to live in their
own little bubble and once having attained some level of skills/knowledge
they vegetate at the level for the duration. Anyone in this business that
has pursued continuing education should be aware of WTs. A standard practice
among professionals in any business is providing clients referrals when a
project goes in a direction you are not qualified in or for whatever reason
don't provide the service needed.

I just think that any good tech should at least be able to recognize a
project is not his/her cup of tea, and be able to help the client meet her
needs with a local referral.

And yeah, that probably means joining the PTG and reading the Journal. You
don't have to like whatever politics may float around the organization - any
organization has its quirks - you don't even have to like the people in the
organization - people are people (that can be good or bad). I am simply not
aware of how anyone can be a well-informed up-to-date piano tech if they do
not utilize PTG - there is no other source of information like the PTG. The
PTG isn't the one manna here to save the earth, but rather the one
organization in this business that is dedicated to providing a clearing
house of information for piano techs to dive into.

And if one-track is a member of PTG - it would seem s/he doesn't have
his/her eyes open.

Just my rant.... er, opinion!

Terry Farrell