Re voicing hammers

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 08:19:26 -0600

Dale,
I didn't have time Friday to finish assessing the problem.  I'll be looking
at hammer-string mating (string levelling etc.), terminations, bridge pin
seating (bridges weren't replaced), dampers (overextended felt possible but
didn't look like it) etc.  I presumed cupping because several middle
unisons are different then the outside unisons.  Again, other possible
issues have to be eliminated before going to hammer voicing.  There is very
good sustain in the high treble.  I'm caught between tuning the attack
phase or tuning the sustain because it is so long.
By the way, the hanging job looks great, better alignment and travel then
I've seen on some makes.  Regulation much better than I've seen from some
stores.  The case is exquisite minus a gash thanks to the delivery
guy.  The plate is beautifully detailed etc.  Decal on the soundboard looks
original.  Neat coils on the stringing job and so on.  The customer and I
are very happy.
The grunt work is done and now I'm busy dialing the piano in.  Can buy that
too, I understand, but I've got to justify markup to myself. ;-)
Andrew