voicing hammers

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sun, 15 May 2005 20:42:08 +0200

Hello Joe,=20

thanks for your reply.

Yes, I will share the receipe of the yamaha hammer hardener:
take 1 liter of aceton, and 4 ping-pong balls (or 50cl with 2 balls, of =
course). Put it in a bottle of glass until the balls are totally melted =
in the aceton. Then you just have to put some small quantities of =
hardener in small bottles with a pipette to carry it in your toolbag.
I haven't tested the hardener myself, but I heard the result when the =
yamaha tech "juiced" the CFIIIS hammers, after the pianist had =
complained about the lack of brillance in the treble area.
BTW, don't forget to only use WHITE TABLE TENNIS BALLS ;-) an orange =
ball would result an orange hammer, but hey, why not ? ;-)

Concerning your second reply, to me fine regulation pushes the piano to =
its limits to a certain point, but when you have to deal with a pianist =
who wants very very bright sound (like Horowitz wanted, for example), =
what can you do except hardening the hammers before the concert?
It's been only 5 years that I am in the profession, and this is the kind =
of questions I am asking to myself, trying to find answers, if there are =
answers, though... ! ;-)

Quentin