Damper pitman

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 16:12:33 -0500

Hi list,

If you ever want to find out how much changes in the field of piano =
technology, just take a nice long leave.  When you come back you will =
find that some things which were very "fashionable" have gone by the =
wayside, or worse, find out that a one time favored method or whatever =
is actually considered harmful.  (Sort of makes me think of a very funny =
scene in Woody Allen's film, Sleeper.)

Anyway, speaking of damper systems and trapwork--when I first started in =
the business, I was told by John Ford (!), to remove the pitman, drill a =
little hole in the end to insert a center pin (a small bit of the sharp =
side protruding).  This would keep the pitman in place and eliminate =
noise.  Since I've come back to work, I've read that folks make the hole =
in the keybed larger.  So, is it a toss up, or did I horribly damage all =
those pianos where I inserted the center pin?=20

Anxiously awaiting enlightenment!    :-)

Barbara Richmond