[Files] Fw: Cast Iron Back Frame

alan and carolyn barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 21:38:10 -0500

Since many fine soldiers in or near combat zones are now woman, an army contractor has been secretly developing an amazing new use for cast iron: Armored brassieres!

Yes, it's true (I'm winkin' here but you can't see it.)

Anyway, I'm sure you've already heard Bob Hope singing their promotional jingle, "Tanks for the Mammaries."

On a less serious note, and a piano note, at that, (That what? you may well ask, well don't ....)

There sure were some pianos from that era, the Geo Steck "Crown," for example, that just flat-out LOOKED like quality, even from the back. I think this piano is perhaps in that league. Nowadays, there are some pianos that look real pretty from the front, but the back and the insides scream CHEAP. Some of the early Pearl uprights had handles in the back that I swear were just pieces chopped from a broomstick! Compare that to the fancy, heavy, lathe-carved handles of a hundred years ago...

And don't get me started about the decline in the quality of hardware, especially screws and hinges .... Oh, rats, I got going there without your help. Always been a self starter. I carry around a little pistol loaded with blanks; starts my day with a bang. Okay, I'll stop, don't throw those tomatos. Or at least empty them out of the can ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

(Hope I didn't cross any lines, there. Don't nobody take no offense please, it was just a sick, sick (sic) pun.)

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 05/16/2005 8:44:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Files] Fw: Cast Iron Back Frame

   Hi John
   Thanks
  a gorgeous piano. What a tank. Piano movers please>
    Dale
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca

Hi,
I ran accross an interesting piano, the other day. It had a cast backframe.
It was a Bell piano, manufactured in Canada. Bell made some nice sounding pianos, in the earlier part of the century.