Need help. (was Sanding Bridge Tops)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 06:06:50 -0400

The bridge should be glued to the panel. The screws are there more to hold
the bridge in place while the glue dries/cures than anything else. When I
glue a new bridge to a new soundboard I usually remove the screws after the
glue has dried.

If, as you indicate, the piano has had a long history of bass instability
(does the pitch go up and down, or just down over time?), you should be able
to see whether the bass bridge has moved - you should also be able to yank
on the bass strings at both ends of the bridge and see if the darn thing is
glued to the panel. Get a good flashlight and a pair of glasses (if needed)
and closely examine the footprint of the bridge. Yank on that thing - you
can easily pull on the strings at the bridge hard enough to lift the bridge
from the panel if it is loose. You can do all that without tearing the thing
down. If you can see that the bass bridge is indeed loose, then sure, remove
strings from the bridge, clean glue joint, apply some appropriate adhesive,
position, and run in some properly sized screws from the back. I'd let the
glue cure and then go back a re-install the strings and tune (don't take
strings off tuning pins, just loosen strings and pop them off the hitch
pins).

Let us know what you shake out of this adventure!

Terry Farrell