Where there's smoke ... where's David?

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 06:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alan,
I ran across this a couple of weeks ago on the PTG website.

http://ptg.org/smoke.htm#Tech

Also, I've heard that Jim Schmitt in Portland is knowledgeable in restoring smoke-damaged pianos. However, in my previous attempts to call him he has not returned phone calls or e-mails.

Have fun,
Dave Davis, RPT

David Vanderhoofven <david@vanderpiano.com> wrote:
Hi Alan,

I believe Dave Schwartz is no longer in the business of doing smoke damage
restoration because of the hazardous chemicals involved. Once upon a time
he sent me an evaluation checklist for smoke damaged pianos, but I can't
find it. The form is possibly on the other computer or a different hard
drive. I will try to find it. In the mean time, here is a document that I
found on my computer. I am not sure if I wrote it or not. More likely, it
was written by Dave Schwartz and I just copied it from the web page for
Majestic Piano (No longer in business).

I will keep looking for the form for you Alan. Best Wishes,
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO

Beginning of document

Smoke Damage Restoration for Pianos

Understanding Smoke

Smoke is the product of incomplete combustion made visible by the presence
of small particles of carbon. All burnable substances involved in the fire
create complex odors. Burnt plastics, fabric, meat, carpet and draperies
provide an acceptable analogy of complex odors. Smoke generally dissipates
quickly after the fire leaving residue. Rapid cooling particles of the
incomplete combustion will leave a difficult film and odor on and in the
entire piano. Smoke is acidic causing discoloration, corrosion and overall
damage to the instrument.

Types of Smoke and Resultant Odors

We generally refer to smoke as either driven or free floating. Driven smoke
is pressurized having force behind it. Vertical surfaces are the most
commonplace for finding driven smoke. Free floating smoke originated as
driven smoke but has lost the active energy. Horizontal surfaces are the
recipients of this type of smoke. Driven smoke found within the piano
interior brings with it numerous odors. We refer to these odors in three
primary categories; Synthetic, Natural, and Protein.

Synthetic odors consist of plastics, and synthetic textiles. This form of
residue in chiefly black in color and will smudge easily. Natural odors
tally from burnt wood, cotton or paper products. The residue from natural
odors are gray and black in color and usually form a powdery substance.
Protein odors result from meat, flesh, grease as most kitchen fires
promote. The residue from protein fires is greasy in nature and is
yellowish to brown in color. Several processes and techniques are required
for thorough odor removal to insure your piano will not project future ill
aromas.

Low and High oxygen fires attribute to the severity of damage realized
within your piano. A low oxygen fire is the smoldering type and leaves a
wet smoky residue. A high oxygen fire produces a dryer residue and
sometimes is easier to remove.

How is the Piano Affected by Smoke Damage?

The piano consists of assorted woods, metals, steel, felts, and plastics.
Humidity fluctuations even on a low scale represent instability in tuning,
tonal qualities, and overall consistency. In the event of a fire, intense
dry heat is present. As the flames are extinguished, the hot, humid
smoldering effect takes place. It is not uncommon to witness a relative
humidity factor as low as 2% at the course of a fire. The extinguishing
process could easily exert the humidity level upwards of 150% or more. As
the humidity level increases, the woods found in the piano expand. The
pores within the wood collect or adsorb the various malodors. Should the
piano exist in the path of the air currents of driven smoke, the odors will
then be driven deeper into the wood than that of free floating smoke.

Other substances within the piano are porous and highly susceptible as they
adsorb odor bearing particles. The piano action for instance is greatly
affected . The felts of the action serve as natural wicks for odor, the
metal parts corrode quickly due to the acidic nature of smoke. The glues
used are broken down making many of the action parts weak, misaligned, or
completely unfunctional. Should rubber parts exist, they will become hard
and brittle.

Oxidation found on the piano's strings is not uncommon. The soundboard
and ribs have been known to separate as well as develop cracks and pressure
ridges. Structural damages partnered with offensive residue creates
undesirable ramifications.

What to Do with a Smoke Damaged Piano

Do not touch the piano with bare hands. The smoke is toxic and may impinge
the touched surfaces as your finger oils react with the residue. If you
must touch the piano, wear latex surgical gloves. Do not attempt to wipe
and clean the instrument. Using the incorrect product(s) can and will leave
undesirable results. Contact your piano technician making him or her aware
of the nature and condition regarding your piano. Proper assessment of the
damages will help your piano professionals serve you in an expedient manner.

Could I do some of the cleaning myself?

Smoke damage restoration consists of numerous processes involving
detoxification and odor counteractant techniques. Simple products such as
bleach, baking soda, and grocery store cleaners are never effective in the
successful removal of smoke damaging odors. It is not wise to attempt a
cleaning such as this. The very nature of complex residues and odors may at
times react unfavorably to inappropriate methods and or products. Should
you encounter a smoked damaged piano, call us immediately that we may be of
service to you.

end of document