Just tuning and "sweetness"

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:01:50 EDT

Israel  writes:

>>BTW, the much steeper increase in beat speeds from key to key that is the
result of preserving that one pure third in Kirnberger is a price many
musicians are not willing to pay.<<

   I agree that the market is limited for this tuning, the only ones that
have embraced it are the Bach fanatics and some jazz musicians, (though I have
used it as a basis for some honky-tonk tunings I was asked to supply, it was jez
fine).
   The main shortcoming I have found  is the three keys with full commas in
their thirds, and two more with 19 cents.  That is almost half the keys really
tempered quite strongly.  There isn't a lot of places to hide, if you begin
using black keys.   I liked it for Beethoven's "Pathetique", because it lent
itself to dreariness.
    In the main, I am tuning 19th century levels of tempering, but I do have
a certain number of customers that like a well-temperament, and play
everything on it.  These include the aforementioned Bach followers as well as country
songwriters and jazz musicians.  My most often used choice is the Young.

Ed Foote RPT