Steinway F Value

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 19 May 2005 21:44:52 -0700

Hi, Dave,

At 09:39 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:
>In a message dated 5/19/05 5:15:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
>Going ..... going ......... OK....any
>body?........................Gone.    Must be a rare bird.
>   Thanks anyway
>    Dale
>I'm looking at A stwy F console, 42" from 1977. Mint condition except it
>needs some reg & tuning/voicing. Perfect Walnut case. I'm interested
>in  the current retail price & a guesstimated fair market value for
>donation purposes. I have my own ideas but am Interested in yours.
>
>  Any body?
>
>Dale,
>
>Sorry I'm late on this one.  I guess you already offloaded it.
>
>Based on what else is out there, I'd guess around 6-7k.  I don't know if
>Steinway even makes any consoles any more.

According to this web page:

http://www.steinway.com/steinway/catalogue/models.shtml

they still make both the 1098 and the 4510 (Sheraton) models.

FWIW, the overriding reason that they stay in the upright business is that
over 90% of all retail (not commercial or institutional) clients who buy
the uprights "trade up" to a grand at some point in the future; and, most
of those who do, get Steinways.

Best.

Horace