"Crescendo" punching test

John Peters jpeters@runbox.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 23:30:12 -0700

Dave,

Actually, for this to be a good "test", you would need to have someone =
else place the punchings under a few random keys and then see if you =
could tell which ones contained the Crecendo punchings. That's why we =
have double blind studies (tester bias).  You're already a true =
believer.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:49 PM
  Subject: "Crescendo" punching test

  List,

  I just got a couple of bags of Andre's "Crescendo" punchings in the =
mail this morning.  One is earmarked for my M and H, and the other is up =
for grabs to the first lucky customer who might like to try them.

  As I was tuning a piano for one of my regular clients, a local church, =
I was noticing that there was a spongy feel and not enough aftertouch in =
their Kawai KG3.  When the key bottomed out, there was alot of side to =
side slop.  Overall, the feel was not at all positive; let-off and drop =
were nebulous.

  I removed the action, the keystop rail, and replaced the green =
punching(which had become conical through years of pounding) with one of =
Andre's. =20

  Several things happened:

  That note had more power and clarity than it's neighbors

  The key had a very precise feel, despite the key bushings having a bit =
more slop than might be considered ideal.

  The point of let-off and drop became well defined.

  I was quite surprised at the level of improvement.  I will be putting =
them in my M and H tomorrow.  Road test to follow.

  Dave Stahl