Upright Dampers, Everett

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 05:13:57 -0400

Get Bill Spurlock's guide to upright damper replacement. He shows how to =
custom make and place oversize bass dampers. If you don't want to make =
them, I can make a set for you. Piano Forte Supply also has pre-made =
bass dampers in 55mm and  67mm lengths (gotta make sure felt is right =
size though).

How is spring tension and damper flange centers? Just remember that new =
felt won't make it like new if your springs are weak.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Peters=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 12:07 AM
  Subject: Upright Dampers, Everett

  A customer has a big old Everett (full size upright), and is =
complaining about too much "echo" (i.e., overtones).  I've agreed to =
replace the dampers,which are old and worn, and noticed that the bass =
dampers are 1 3/8".  Does anybody know if (1) any older uprights =
originally used dampers this size and (2) if old-style, 1 3/4" bass =
dampers would do better blocking out harmonics.  Thanks in advance

  John Peters