The 2 meter piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sat, 21 May 2005 05:41:28 -0500

At 13:02 5/21/2005 +0300, you wrote:
>Assuming you mean a 200 cm piano, Bechstein had the very old model V -
>200cm, replaced by the older model B, also 200cm.
>
>Calin Tantareanu
>-----------------------
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Ric Brekne" <ricbrek@broadpark.no>
>Subject: The 2 meter piano
>

>>Hi folks
>>Just curious about something that I thought I'd ask about.... There are a
>>whole host of pianos around 180-190mm long, and again around 210mm.  But
>>you dont really see so many at 200 mm blank.   Anybody got any good
>>reason(s) /explanations as to why ?
>>Just musing on a friday morning.
>>RicB

What to do, early on a Saturday morning... ;-}

I've got an old (early '80s) Renner Hauptkatalog-891 which has a bunch of
interesting charts in the back like sizes of strings, pins, etc.

The "etc." (usw) includes a chart of Flügel sizes.  FWIW, here's what I
find @200cm (±5cm) [middle of 190-200cm gap]

Bechstein 203cm
Bösendorfer 200cm
Grotian-Steinweg 200cm
Kawai RX-A 197cm
Pfeiffer 200cm
Samick 205cm
Schimmel 205
Weinbach 195cm
Yamaha C5D 197cm
...any inaccuracies are Renner GMBH's, I'm just pullin' stuff off the page.

Conrad Hoffsommer
It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object realize that you are in a hurry.