Plate Flexing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 08:17:26 -0700

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:23 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Plate Flexing

I may not be understanding the situation clearly here, so please bear
with
me. If you lay the plate down on a flat table, is the plate flat or can
you
see that it is warped?

What do you mean that the nose bolts are neutral? I presume you mean
that,
with the plate bolts removed, the hitch pin edge of the plate is resting
on
the rim dowels (or at least some of them) and just touching the base of
the
nose bolts? With the plate bolts removed, is the plate perimeter resting
on
all the dowels, or is it up off the dowels in the bass/tenor? I'm
envisioning that the plate rests on dowels in the treble area, the nose
bolts everywhere, but is raised up above the dowels in the bass. If that
is
the case, then I should think you could just lower the nosebolts, maybe
trim/lower a few of the low treble dowels a tad and be back in business.

How flat is that plate?

You need to hear from Del Fandrich or Ron Nossaman for a good opinion on
the
effect of added bridge height. I know one time I thought I needed to
make
one a little shorter than normal and they both advised against it -
however,
maybe a little added mass in that area is not such a detrimental thing.

Terry Farrell