Plate Flexing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 08:29:30 -0700

To drop the plate 3/4" (say) at the bass end, you would need to lower
the dowels half way between the pinblock and the bass end by 3/8".  The
dowels aren't that tall at that point.  The plate would be resting below
the level of the soundboard panel.  I think they did bend the plate in
order to try and keep the bridge height uniform.  In this case, in order
to achieve that, they had to bend it quite a bit.  Recapping all the
bridges aside, I don't see any unbent position for the plate that would
allow for reasonably uniform bridge heights.  Recapping the treble will
allow me to experiment a little though and possible lower the bass end a
touch by raising the treble corner and trimming just slightly the dowels
in the middle.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 7:44 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Plate Flexing

In a message dated 5/21/2005 2:24:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
considerable amount.  The dowels are all cut pretty evenly around the
> perimeter.  The plate just warped.  My understanding is that during
> certain periods at Steinway, plate warping was more of a problem that
at
> others.
  David
  I'm  Not convinced the plate is warped.
 But the the dowells were arranged short to pull the plate down
significantly. The question is why.
  With the plate installed over a new board but with out dowells,
imaginne the plate screwed to the block & the very last plate boss
sitting on the board in the tail. This is  the only places that are
touching so there's kind of a triangulation in this scenario that I find
common. Even with  the usual very short dowell at this location I rarely
find  the others this short until it comes to the treble.  I think they
simply wanted the plate to sit at a very low & constant elevation
instead of allowing  the bridge thickness to rise & fall to match the
plate. SO they pulled it down
  Dale