1888 Steinway B Value

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 14:04:30 EDT

Hi Will
  For many pianist  an 85 note piano is a no go as  well as the pre 1900 ish
age barrier. However IMO any rosewood Stwy B has value  as a unique case style
& early example of Stwy.
    Without the original legs the value is  greatly dimished. If you use the
Vintage case parts legs to replace what was  there originally then your value
will increase.
    As old as this piano is I suggest it needs  an  EVERYTHING restoration
which is  looking like 30k or so. Cuurent market value is probably 10k or there
abouts.  It's value after "Custom Restoration" & I mean custom tricked out
condition.
    With aNew custom belly, a custom balanced  action ,customized back action
 & first rate finish with original legs  It could be worth 60 to 80 k maybe
more. Stwy NY  asks about a zillion  dollars for these. None of these figures
should  be too far off
   Dale Erwin

I'm  hoping some of you fine rebuilders can help me give my customer
some good  idea of the value of her 85 note Rosewood 'B'. The piano has

So  here's what I need to find out: 1) What would be a fair market price
and  an insurance appraisal for this baby fully restored and refinished
(with  the replacement legs unless I can find adequate original style
replacements)? 2) What would be a reasonable price she might expect to
receive if she sells it to a wholesaler or a web auction?

Thanks  for lending me your experience and expertise!

Will  Wickham

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com