Fallboard screw (Yamaha)

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 19:11:47 -0400

Aha!

I just solved a mystery sound on the aforementioned 1974 Yamaha C3.  G#3,
when played loudly, had this very odd, fast buzz, off-pitch, and lower by a
couple of octaves.  I'll try to record it next time I'm there.  The
sensation I had was that the hammershank was touching something: you could
feel the vibration in the key.  It would happen briefly, just at the
beginning of the keystroke, maybe 2/10 of a second.

I started reaching around all over the piano, as you do, and noticed that it
went away when I touched that %^& fallboard.  I saw a worn place on the
extreme right-hand end, about 3/8", near the top of the stretcher.  Sure
enough: the fallboard was just barely touching the stretcher there, and
nowhere else.  Move it a fraction of an inch away, and the buzz disappears.

There's no sign of a missing button anywhere.  I'll try to dig up a clear
one for the stretcher.  I can't see any way to adjust travel with the pivot
hardware.  I tried over-extending the slow-close spring, but it didn't help.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV